The Governor's Faith Based Resources
This Week in the Faith Community:
Stay tuned for new events!
Building Faith Based Partnerships for a Stronger Maryland
The Governor’s Office of Community Initiatives (GOCI) has established working relationships with many faith based organizations that serve Maryland’s communities. Mark Byrd is the Faith Based Coordinator in the Governor’s Office of Community Initiatives and helps to foster and maintain effective communication and partnerships with the faith community and the Governor’s Office.
Some of the leadership organizations that that GOCI has collaborated with include:
- Collective Empowerment Group (CEG), formerly the Collective Banking Group, Inc., was formed in 1993 as a result of concerns raised by pastors and church members in Prince George’s County and the Metropolitan D.C. area regarding inequitable access to services provided by local banks and businesses. Our vision is to collectively empower underserved communities.
- Baltimoreans United in Leadership Development (BUILD) is a broad-based community power organization, rooted in Baltimore’s neighborhoods and churches. We are non-partisan, interfaith, multiracial, and dedicated to making our city a better place for all Baltimoreans to live and thrive.
- Central Maryland Ecumenical Council (CMEC) is the common instrument of the Christian community in Baltimore city and adjacent counties. We focus our efforts in the areas of human services/social justice, interfaith dialogue and ecumenical worship.
- Clergy Beyond Borders (CBB) is dedicated to an active religious pluralism that goes beyond mere tolerance for difference. The basic premise of CBB’s work is the conviction that all religions contain a message of commitment to improve the world.
- People Acting Together in Howard (P.A.T.H.) is an interfaith network of active communities in Howard County and an affiliate of the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF).
- Baltimore Jewish Council (BJC) is the designated political and community relations arm of THE ASSOCIATED: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore and its agencies.
- Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Washington(JCRC) Maryland, Northern Virginia and District of Columbia commissions partner with local and state organizations to reach out to government officials at the federal, state and local levels to advance the legislative of the Jewish community in Metropolitan Washington.
- Comprehensive Housing Association Inc. (CHAI) mission is to develop and support thriving, stable neighborhoods in communities with a substantial Jewish population.
- The Jewish Federation of Howard County (JCCHOCO) works to support and enhance a strong Jewish future with all Jewish organizations in our community. It serves as an integrating resource and addresses the needs of the Jewish people locally, nationally, in Israel and around the world.
- Maryland Muslim Council (MdMC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting interest and involvement of Muslims in the State of Maryland.
- Sikh Association of Baltimore is committed to being real and relevant. We do not claim to have it all together as a Gurudwara, but we do endeavor to be honest about our love for WaheGuru (one God) and our desire for people to connect with God.
- Catholic Charitiesare a human services organization, deeply rooted in faith, and committed to having a profound impact in the communities and on the lives of those we assist and serve.
Issues that GOCI and many State agencies continue to collaborate on with faith based organizations include:
- Marriage Equality Act of 2012
- Foreclosure prevention and finance seminars
- Voter registration and voter participation
- Maryland’s Dream Act
- Feed the Children Campaign
- Issues related to the death penalty and the significance of its repeal
- Emergency and disaster preparedness
- Census participation
For additional information Mark Byrd can be reached at 410-767-1822 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Events/Funding Opportunities
- Stay Tuned! More events coming soon!